Berghain’s Marcel Fengler presents the fifth installment in the club’s expanding mix series. A central resident at the club since its early days, Fengler continually and consistently fires up the Berghain floor with his vast and exemplary collection of techno, house and electronica.
Opening with the eerie echoes of Emika’s ‘Count Backwards’ – treated by Marcel Dettmann - we quickly discover the first exclusive gem of the mix as Peter Van Hoesen’s incredible ‘Axis Mundi’ sets the tone from here on in: full, lively and not short on drama.Pushing into darker zones, Regis’ typically haunting mix of Tommy Four Seven’s ‘G’, or Luke Slater’s L.B Dub Corp mix of Fengler’s own ‘Thwack’ segue with more classic cuts from Secret Cinema’s ‘Timeless Altitude (Minneapolis Mix)’ and Ratio’s ‘Doublefeature’. Fengler keeps the surprise element alive while maintaining tension and pressure throughout. Gerd’s tripping ‘Time and Space (Duplex Southside Mix)’ mixes wonderfully with UK bass veteran Seiji’s ‘More of You’ in a glorious mid point throw- down. The mighty Claude Young teams up with production partner Takasi Nakajima on ‘Think Twice’, which then swells to pick up the tension in a beautiful piano-led hypnotising moment.
With the focus on more current developments in more edgy techno and house, combined with a hearty nod to the past, the mix continues with newcomers like Puresque showing promise, alongside a weighty new Ben Sims track, and the pounding filtered glory of Vril’s ‘UV’ – another exclusive for the mix. Marcel includes a new track that heads straight for the floor with ‘Sphinx’, while men of the moment Skudge put forward ‘Man On Wire’. The slow burning house of Reagenz’ ‘The Labyrinth’ leads us into a psychedelic game of funk, dub and abstraction as the mix winds down.Before drawing to a close with Convextion aka E.R.P’s stunning ‘Vapor Pressure’, we’re treated to a UK house classic by 20:20 Vision’s ‘Future Remembrance (Livestyle Mix)’, in all its analog glory.
In Berghain 05, Marcel Fengler has proved filling floors doesn’t have to be about ticking boxes. This mix is a perfect example of the type of dexterity, sensitivity and scope he possesses as a DJ.
The O-Ton 51 12″ with tracks from Peter van Hoesen/Reahenz/Vril will be released 15.08.11
Artist: Marcel Fengler
Title: Berghain 05
Label: Ostgut Ton, DE.
01. Emika – Count Backwards (Marcel Dettmann Vocal Edit)
02. Peter van Hoesen – Axis Mundi (Exclusive, previously unreleased)
03. Terrence Dixon – Tranquility (Octagen Remix)
04. Byetone – Plastic Star (Dr. Walker Remix)
05. Tommy Four Seven – G (Regis Remix)
06. Marcel Fengler – Thwack (L.B. Dub Corp Remix) (previously unreleased)
07. Secret Cinema – Timeless Altitude (Minneapolis Mix)
08. Ratio – Double Feature 09. Gerd – Time and Space (Duplex Southside Mix)
10. Seiji – More Of You 11. Claude Young & Takasi Nakajima – Think Twice
12. Puresque – 001A (previously unreleased) 13. Ben Sims – Slow Motion (previously unreleased)
14. Vril – UV (Exclusive, previously unreleased)
15. Marcel Fengler – Sphinx (previously unreleased)
16. Skudge – Man On Wire (previously unreleased)
17. Reagenz – The Labyrinth (Exclusive, previously unreleased)
18. 20:20 Vision – Future Remembrance (20:20 Livestyle Mix)
19. Convextion aka E.R.P. – Vapor Pressure (previously unreleased)
Line up for the Berghain 05 release party:
Saturday 3 September
PANORAMA BAR Vril LIVE
Alex Dallas & Soultourist